Prep - 10 mins
Cook - 40 mins
Ingredients (Serves 4):
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 8 skinless chicken thighs
- 1 onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 red, green and yellow pepper, stalk and seeds removed, diced into 2 cm cubes
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced into 2 cm cubes
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2-3 tbsp coconut milk (optional)
- 3-4 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, or 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chicken stock (for best immunity-boosting benefits - make your own!)
- 1 x 25g pack fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Juice of half a lime and another lime, cut into quarters
250g wholemeal couscous
- 1tsp salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Heat the oil ina flame-proof casserole dish, and brown the chicken over a medium to high heat.
- Turn the heat to low, add the onion, garlic and ginger and gently sauté for a few minutes to soften the onion.
- Stir in the vegetables and the chilli and then add the tomato puree, tomatoes, coconut milk, peanut butter, thyme, ground coriander, cumin and cayenne pepper, a little salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Top up with enough chicken stock to cover everything.
- Bring to the boil, cover and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cook on the hob, covered, on a low heat, stirring frequently, for 30-40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked and the sauce is deliciously thick.
- Meanwhile, prepare the couscous. Rinse in cold water and then place in a bowl with the salt and the olive oil. Pour over 300ml boiling water and leave for 5 minutes (check the pack for the exact quantity of water and how long to leave it). Fluff up the couscous gently with a fork.
- Add the lime juice to the stew and adjust the seasoning according to taste. You may have to add extra chicken stock if the sauce becomes too thick. Sprinkle over the fresh coriander and serve with a lime wedge.